A Home Away From Home - RV MAKEOVER!


 As I posted last Friday, Matt and I purchased a camper trailer. It's been sitting in our garage for the last 2 weeks until Sunday when we decided to pull it out, open it up, and really play inside.


Matt completely rewired the lights outside, and fixed the broken arm. The skeleton and canvas is in perfect condition. But now it is my turn to make this our home away from home.
 First and foremost, the cushions, and sleeping pads all needed a makeover!
I fortunately already had a mess of beautiful fabric just laying around the house. The bed covers were old curtains that I couldn't part with over the last 8 years. Everything about them was perfect. I folded them in half, sewed up the ends and created a slip cover that we could remove and wash as we need to.

Next, the curtains.
I was afraid to actually do these but I figured I would at least give it a shot. I pulled down the original curtains to use as a pattern, ripped the threads out, cut out the curtain tabs and went to work.
I found an inexpensive, heavy green fabric at Walmart. I want the curtains thick enough to still act as a barrier but not too hard to work with since this would technically be my first semi hard sewing project with my new sewing machine.


I had some left over gray chevron fabric from Zeplin's nursery - not enough to do much with but just enough to cover the curtain wraps.
I am so thrilled with the end result of the curtains though!! The work was tedious but it really encouraged me to keep working on little sewing projects and turning this RV into our getaway home!

I thought about painting the table until I found some plastic table cloth with the same gray chevron pattern that I knew would be perfect!
Matt was ever so helpful to wrap the table for me and I loved the way it turned out. Unfortunately the plastic cover on top is really, really flimsy. I'm worried that it will rip soon. I might have to cover it again with a thicker plastic.

All in all, I'm really happy with how it's turned out. It feels cozy and updated. And the best part, which makes Matt especially happy, my total cost came to less than $100!




 We have high hopes to cover the floors and refinish/paint the cupboards. We will see though. I think it's more important that we get new arms for the lift.
I cannot wait to take it on many many camping trips this summer and for many more summers to come!!

3 comments

Unknown said...

How fabulous!!!! Now I want one! :) love and miss you! I owe Me.Z a gift and ice cream cone!

Unknown said...

How fabulous!!!! Now I want one! :) love and miss you! I owe Me.Z a gift and ice cream cone!

Unknown said...

How fabulous!!!! Now I want one! :) love and miss you! I owe Me.Z a gift and ice cream cone!