Music in the Air


Many, many years ago, I used to play the clarinet for the concert school band. Then I learned how to play the trombone so I could be apart of the Jazz band. I was 1st chair for both instruments and I loved it. Being 1st chair also meant I gave the solo for the end of year Jazz performance for the trombones. Joyce Smith (still my friend who I saw Wednesday morning) was the 1st chair Saxophone and Kim Larsen was 1st chair trumpet.  I remember it to this day - I was so nervous because we had to make up our own solo and I wasn't really confident because it just wasn't sounding right in practice. The performance though - flawless. I still remember the crowd cheering after I finished and the trumpet solo started. And the smile on my face when my 2nd chair, Zach Cooper, elbowed me and said “Good Job.” I had a huge crush on him back in the day. Hahaha.

I no longer have a trombone or a clarinet. We have our beautiful piano, which I'm teaching myself to play, a keyboard and about 10 extremely expensive guitars complete with amps and everything else you can image that go with electric guitars. (I feel nervous when I'm around Matt's guitars.)
Matt owns one guitar that was given to him from Steve Miller himself. Matt tells the story of walking into Doyle's Music in Boise to drop off an amp that needed some work. Steve Miller was there picking up a guitar. He saw Matt's amp and they got talking about music. Next thing Matt knows, Steve Miller is asking to trade his guitar for Matt's amp. The value of the guitar was more than the amp so Matt shook his hand and walked out with a Fender Stratocaster.


Anyways, Matt and I share of mutual love of music and passion to fill our home with beautiful melodies. We also share a desire to teach our son & future children how to play an instrument. If not to be in band, then to just have something to do instead of playing video games and wasting time.


I still wish Matt had his drum kit but we've agreed to start adding instruments to what we already have. We decided to find a clarinet and I just happen to find the perfect one.
It's an antique wood Special Signet Selmer clarinet. It's beautiful! I got it for $50 and found it priced online for $399.00 ... some of the better ones were $700! I took it to Dunkley's Music and they couldn't believe I got it for $50. It needs a little bit of work but it is the perfect little addition to our musical family.
Next on the list - a trombone, a saxaphone (Matt used to play) and then a drum kit.

No comments