We Needed A Hug Today

 Zeplin and I have been having a rough go at home, momentarily.

I'm unbelievably stressed, tired, worn thin, overwhelmed and hard on myself.
Zeplin is ... well, he's turning 2.
We've been at a clash against each other for a couple weeks.

It seems like just when I get a handle on things, some thing else happens and I lose it again. I'm noticing that when I'm having a bad day, so is Zeplin. No matter how hard I try to pretend like everything is okay, my son knows I'm struggling. But because he's not even two, he's begun to act out.



I got mad at him today and told him to go to his room. He was reluctant but without my assistance, he took himself to his room.

I could hear him whimpering at me as he climbed the stairs, forcing me to feel the whimpers in my heart and I melted.
I called to him to come back downstairs. He was so quick to come back and I was surprised by his eagerness to just give me a hug. I didn't even ask for one.

His hug cleared my mind, even just for that moment. We stayed in each others arms for no more than 30 seconds but his gentle gesture of love really brought myself back to reality. 
I apologized to him and realized that it's not fair to him to allow all the minor issues of adulthood zap away the precious energy he deserves.

I need his hugs more often. Maybe then I won't get so worked up over ‘things.’

No comments