High Rope Course & Dying of Fright.

Read this and tell me it doesn't sound absolutely amazing!!!

The Amazing Couple’s Race
How cool and calm are you? I bet you say, “pretty cool.” Oh yeah??? How cool and calm are you as a couple? That is the real question! Let us test your skills, as a couple, in various challenges. You and your special friend will engage in challenges that will push your trust, your memory, your balance, your finesse, your knowledge of each other, and that’s not all. Heck, we’ll test your audaciousness, your courage, and your heroism.
The Amazing Couples Race course will include numerous elements: Ropes Course, Physical Activities, Trivia, Trust Challenges, Problem Solving, and a whole lot more!
So if you think the two of you would be a great duo on TV’s, Minute to Win It, The Newlywed Game, and The Amazing Race, get enlisted today. You might regret it! Sorry… we meant to say, “You WON’T regret it!”

Well, If I could admit something.... I kinda regret it - just a little bit. 

I bought a Groupon to Bodies in Motion to do the couples ropes course but because they didn't have any openings to RSVP before our cancelation date, they set us up with the Amazing Couples Race at no charge. I didn't think it was going to be a huge deal so I wore leggings and Matt wore jeans.  Bad idea.... Everyone there was dressed in workout clothes and doing warm up exercises when we walked in. 
There were a total of 9 couples and included was an older couple in their 70s that completely stole my heart - they were so cute!


The coordinators started all of us doing minute to win it games. We were divided into two teams to compete - our team was the Rocking Honeybadgers.... 
Anyways, after we were divided into teams, each obstacle was delegated out for who would do what for the relay. Matt and I had the very last task and we were supposed to put cookies on our foreheads and work them down our face and into our mouth.
Our teammates starting us were great. They kept us in the lead but the couple before us took so much time with their task that we ended up being neck and neck with the other group. 
Ultimately, the other team's couple completed their challenge before Matt and I so we lost. I felt really bad. Especially because the meatheads were turds and took it too serious. 

After the challenges, we geared ourselves up for the ropes course. 

I was totally excited as we put the harness and helmets on. They gave us a quick run down of safety and procedures, then we were off. 

The coordinators divided us up to again to climb up the different ladders. Matt and I stayed on the easy ladder and chit chatted with the other couples. 
The 70 yr olds were up first and they rocked! I mean seriously, they whipped themselves up there so fast and started on the course without even batting an eye. 

So, I won't try to act all macho..... I was most definitely afraid. 
Matt had a very calm voice for me the entire time and did well with coaching me through the course. 
Until the very end......
It's hard to truly describe my fear but I went into meltdown mode on the last obstacle. Prior to stepping on to the first board, I had this gut wrenching feeling that I didn't clasp my safety harness to the wire. My heart sank, my stomach flipped and I clung for dear life as I envisioned myself falling to my death. It was a split second of time that I peeked up to check my claws and I most certainly did hook them but I was already unconsolable. My eyes teared up, I couldn't breathe but I was completely hyper-ventilating.
Matt would reach out and touch my arm and say, “Babe, just look me in the eyes. Breathe. Breathe. It's okay.” But every time I looked at him, my eyes got water again. One of the coordinators climbed to the platform and did such a wonderful job coaxing me through each step and would say, “I'm right here. When you're ready, reach for my hand and I will pull you over.” 
But I couldn't move. I was paralyzed. I still don't even know how I made it to the last square block. 
Matt and the young man helped me finish out the rest of the course and sashay my way down. But I was still shaking. It must have been noticeable that I was having a hard time because a handful of the couples came up and told me I did a wonderful job up there. 

I clung to Matt and we enveloped ourselves into a bubble to help me calm down. I think Matt kind of liked the idea of being my knight in shining armor and saving my life. He was very chivalrous. 

Dinner was apart of the package, so while we all ate, we played the a version of the Newlywed Game. Matt and I rocked as I knew we would. It was a lot of fun to see the answers we both put on the ones we got wrong. 
Later that night, I noticed my arms were completely bruised and beat up from my desperation to hang on for dear life. 

Matt and I laugh about it now but at the time, I really felt like I was dying at that moment. I probably could have died from fright.  

I hope to do it again, someday. And Kaycee wants to go with me. But I think I would have to take Matt. He was my life saver. He never humiliated me, and instead he brought me back to reality and helped me through it. 

My parents called this my near death experience. I'm embarrassed that even though I was completely safe, I had an extreme anxiety attack..... I have done far more dangerous things back in the day - need I remind you of my mountain biking accident 5 years ago. 

I guess some things get to some that don't bother others ... and this was mine. 

No comments