Monthly Dose of Zeplin - {July}

(31 Months)

I usually write this post throughout the month but here I am, a week until the end of the month and I'm having to pick my brain and beg Matt to remember all the fun, funny, and new things Zeplin has done this month.


  • “Daddy, Stop singing. Make dinner!”
  • “Fly. Follow me outside! Come on. Let's go outside Fly.” (We live close to a pasture with cows and goats so flys are frequent fliers in our house.)
  • “Oh. Haha. You scared me!”  
  • “Hey. Papa.” Very nonchalantly. As if he sees his papa all the time. 
  • “Come play with me. Please. PLLEEAASSEEE!” 
  • “Hi Friend. Hi Friend! How are you?” Whenever someone walks into the Child Care room. 
  • “What are we doing today?”
  • “Damnit Mom!” Really, he says dammit to anything. We try to stop him as soon as we hear it!
We get stopped constantly by people in stores or in public places asking us how old our son is and complimenting him on how well he speaks. He uses full clear sentances that are easy to undersatnd and usually in the right context. 
  • Zeplin has been calling us by our first names lately. He will yell, “Matt” “Dessa!” from wherever he is at. We try to immediately convince him to call us Mom or Dad but he's refusing. The other day he came down the stairs and said, “Oh Hi Dessa. What we doing today?” It was so nonchalant and made me laugh so hard. 
  • Zeplin is going through a “Daddy ONLY” phase. He doesn't want me. He doesn't want to hug me, kiss me, or really play with me. It's kind of depressing but I realize he sees me all day long so obviously it's a great break to have his daddy around. I just miss being the one to love on my son without him pushing me away. 


  • Zeplin was deathly afraid of a fake lizard we had in the house. We had to throw it away. But we had a little fun scaring our son with it for a little while. 


  • The one thing that I remember most of this month was when Zeplin was sitting in the back seat of the car and starting giving us a list of all the things he has. “I have a robot. I have a car. I have a club house. I have a helmet. I have a flashlight. I have a motorcycle.....” This continued for some time as he recalled the many items he has in his room. 
  • Zeplin has always been very polite. He asks if people are okay. He even asked my mom, randomly, if she was okay and if her back hurt? Then a few days ago, he accidentally hurt me and quickly said, “Oh mommy. I'm sorry.”    Zeplin catches peoples attention when we are out and about with how polite and kind he is using “Thank you.” “No Thank you” and “You're welcome.”
  • Zj hates to hold our hands when crossing the street and I've come up with a way to convince him to.... I ask him to protect me from the cars coming. He thinks that if he holds my hand then I will not get hurt. I'm teaching him chivalry at a young age!
  • You will never meet a little boy more obedient! I can give him complex instructions to do something and he will remember every thing I ask of him. Most directions are simple but I still try to make sure they're a process... Like, Take off your clothes, put them in your hamper then go potty, wash your hands, grab a new diaper and come back to me. Other times I will ask him to pick things up, put them away.... and the list goes on. I'm always so proud of him when he ask him to stop playing with the puppies to come in and eat lunch. He's going to be a great big brother when I'm going to need his help getting diapers, wipes, and bottles. 
  • Z is good at giving me time alone which is helpful when I've been so sick lately. He asks me often if I'm feeling okay. On one occasion, he came up to me while I was taking a bath and said, “Mommy. Are you sick?” I told him yes I was and he replied, “Okay. I go upstairs and play. I love you.” Or he will go outside and play by himself or with the puppies.  I feel bad that I've been having him play by himself so much but I just have been so dead to the world. I can't wait for my 2nd trimester to start. 
  • We are trying to break Zeplin of his need for us to cuddle him to sleep. But it's turned into a bit of a nightmare. For a few weeks now, he hasn't been going to bed until past midnight. We will find him sitting on the stairs, or sitting at the table eating carrots. Some nights are better than others when he will fall asleep watching a movie. It's hard to put him on a schedule when we don't even have much of a schedule for ourselves. For sure before baby comes, we will have it more figured out.
  • Zeplin knows about 90% of the alphabet and can sing almost the entire song to us without being prompted. I assume he will have the whole thing figured out in a couple months. He can also count from 1-12. His favorite number is Eleven right now. Not sure why... but he loves to say it. 

  • He get's his memory from his daddy, not me. He remembers last names of people, things that we promised him. The other day he was talking to me about Hailee and said, “Oh ya, Hailee Ackerman!” Not sure how he remembered her last name but he did. Then when we were at the movies, he say a girl that looked like a girl from softball and he said, “Oh Hi Gabby!” He's a dolly. 
  • A few months ago I taught him to say, “I'm handsome” and he's figured out that he can tell people he's handsome when they try to tell him he's cute. He will say, “I'm not cute. I'm handsome.” It's sure to make us laugh overtime. 
  • His hair is ridiculously curly! I can't cut it! 

  • Zj loves puzzles. His favorite is a dino puzzle at the gym daycare. He's gotten really good at putting it together by himself and will even get about 9 pieces correctly together before asking me for help. Smart little nugget. 

  • Zj loves playing his daddy's drum set. It's actually pretty good. 



Here are just some funny videos of Zeplin this month. He cracks us up!








No comments