Five on Friday - {Zoo Boise, Diet & Exercise}

{ONE:}  The Zoo
Michelle and I decided to take advantage of a warm & sunny day and took our boys to the Zoo on Wednesday.
It was such a great idea. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining  and then we actually got there & realized it was a huge mistake. The parking lot was full and there were probably 20 school buses there. The place was packed with annoying, screaming insane amounts of children. (Side note - unless I am friends with the mom & dad and my son is friends with the child, I strongly dislike other peoples children!)

It was so overwhelming and frustrating. BUT our boys seemed to enjoy themselves. They loved the carousel and loved feeding the sloth bear. The penguins were pretty cool too.
All the school kids left around lunch time which gave us some quiet time to eat our lunch too.
We walked around, outside the zoo to a playground, until we were all so exhausted. I think the boys were finally done too. Trevor accidentally played too hard and pushed Zeplin down a slide and he knocked his face at the bottom.











 Arrowlyn was the perfect tag along for her first zoo trip. She stayed snuggled into me in the Tula. She slept most of the time and we only stopped once to feed her after we ate lunch. While at the park, she laid in the grass on her pillow and smiled, & coo'd. She was so sweet.... As she always is.




{TWO:}  Diet & Exercise
I have 4 weeks until our week long family vacation which gives me a month to try to get in a little more shape to be able to hike around with my family without feeling horrible. 

This week was my initial week for really getting into exercising and it went well. I initiated a FitBit challenge with 8 other people. I did well every day and was happy to meet my 10k daily goal. With all the evening walks, playing tag, volleyball and softball - it wasn't too hard to hit 10k. 

I'll update this on my total steps for the weeks and whether I won or not.....
*And I didn't win. My brother got 101,201 steps and I got 98,896. I was just a couple thousand shy of winning. I'm not doing this competition again for awhile. That was rough.*


I also started Chalene Johnson's PIYO and ChaLean Extreme workouts. The first rounds are only 4 weeks long anyways so it was a perfect amount of time to do a program before VACA!! 
I was never really into Yoga but after trying PiYo, I'm in love. It's hard too! My body was screaming through my first workout and then wanted to give out on me throughout the week. It felt good to walk  until my legs turned to mush. 

As far as a diet goes, I'm not really dieting as much as I'm changing my food choices - A LOT! (Except for tonight since I just got back from Tucanos for my birthday dinner.) One of my softball teammates is so knowledgeable about diet and exercise that I decided to reach out to him for help. He seemed to be excited to help me and told me to take a week and write down EVERYTHING I eat and then at our next game, he would go over my food choices with me and see where we could tweek some things.

It only took me a couple days to realize that I was eating WAY too much bread. I would eat toast and eggs for breakfast, then a PB and Honey sandwich (maybe even 2) then dinner was good but I would eat another piece of bread with butter before bed. That's just bread! I'm not even talking about the rice with tacos or the pasta with spaghetti! I also began to realize that I was eating over 2000 calories a day and not working out.

 Although bread is okay, it's not good to eat 8 pieces in a day.
I found a new app called Lose It which is identical to MyFitnessPal only simpler to use. I've kept my calorie intake down to 1800 and really focused on my macros a little better.


I am so thankful I have friends and family who want to be successful and want others to be too. They are so happy to share and encourage and teach.  I read a quote once that basically said, “Girls Compete. Real Women Motivate.”



{THREE:}   Friends 
We had a last minute dinner with our friends, the Martin's, on Wednesday night. We were going to meet them at the subdivision park but it was such a beautiful day that we decided to let the littles swim in our pool. Matt cooked hamburgers and we sat out back on the deck and just caught up. It has been since Arrow was born that I'd spent time with Tina.

Chloe just turned 2 & is beginning to be a bit more at speed with Zeplin so those two had so much fun swimming then playing tag afterwords.

I love having that beautiful family so close to us!






{FOUR:}  Zeplin
Our swimming pool was such a great purchase for us! It's been a great bribery tool too. (Anything to get a 3 year old to do what he's told.) The water has been freezing cold so his swimming time is always short lived though. 
I can't wait for it to get in the 90s and 100s so we all get in the pool. 

*******************************
We went to Grandma's over the weekend and were so happy. We even took a little walk towards the lake until we all got a little sore & tired. 

We actually took a lot of walks this week and he was a champ. . . . . Especially when there were puddles to jump in, and a playground at the end.


*******************************
 Zeplin learned how to swing on a big kid swing this week. He used to alternate kicking his feet while on the swing and finally became coordinated enough to kick his feet together so to pump the swing forward and backward. Matt and I were so proud of him. 


*******************************

Our little guy has always loved playing games but its' been as of recently that he's become more fun to play with. His attention span is long enough to play a full game and he's smart enough to learn & play it correctly. Our favorite game right now is Pop the Pig. I recommend it to any family with small children. 

*******************************

This kid is really blossoming with his preschool activities. He loves going to the library and sitting front row to hear the stories. He also enjoys running and dancing with the other kids when it's time to move around. Craft time is a little more of a struggle as Zeplin really doesn't enjoy coloring, cutting, glueing, or making anything. 
But when it comes to learning, he's all about it. I purchased a bunch of workbooks from the dollar store and he loves the challenges. Sometimes he will get bored and become silly which is really annoying for me - because I know how smart he is and I don't like when he acts like he's not. He does a great job of teaching me patience. 

*******************************



{FIVE:}   Arrowlyn >>-----> 12Weeks
Arrow has been a perfect baby. 2 weeks ago she started waking up in the middle of the night and we realized it was because we were swaddling her in a larger swaddle than she was used to so her arms were loose. Once we put her back in her small swaddle, she began sleeping through the night again. I've been trying to go to bed earlier each night and by working out, I've been able to crawl into bed before 11pm -- giving me about 7 & a half hours of sleep for myself.
I wish I could sleep like Arrowlyn. 9pm - 9am sounds amazing!

*******************************

Arrow is becoming quite the Tummy Timer! She used to hate it and honestly, I hate it too so I waiting with both Zeplin and Arrowlyn until they were at least 8-10 weeks old. There are other ways to build their neck strength than to put them on their tummy and make them grumpy. Baby girl is finally enjoying it and lasts longer than a couple minutes now. I'm so super proud of her.

*******************************
Arrowlyn was a fabulous walking buddy all week. She smiled and coo'd most of the time. Otherwise, she was happy and content while her chubby little cheeks jiggled in her carseat with each step I took.


She was also great when I carried her. I love when she stays awake just long enough that I can interact with her. I love when she looks up at me with her big eyes!



*******************************
I started cleaning out Arrowlyn's closet and pulled out all her 3-6 month clothes and wouldn't you believe it.... she's fitting pretty tightly into her 6 month outfits! 
She has the most scrumptious thighs, & tasty tummy...... the most perfect baby body! 
I love dressing her up too. But I hate that she's getting too big for some outfits. I have some adorable clothes that she's only worn once and doesn't fit in them anymore so I had to box them up. 


*******************************
She's growing up too fast! 
Her hair is starting to get longer but she's getting a bald spot from laying down. 








*******************************
Arrow loves her big brother so much but unfortunately, he's not super interested in her yet. He will when she's old enough to crawl and walk. 
She was desperate for his attention today but all he wanted to do was watch a show on YouTube. He even put her pacifier in her mouth when she started to get fussy. 

No comments