Gifted and Talented - Arrowlyn


Earlier in the school year I received a phone call from Summerwind STEM asking my thoughts on having Arrowlyn tested for Gifted and Talented. I gave my permission, considering how she'd been surpassing all the benchmarks for the grade that she was currently in. 

Arrowlyn didn't seem phased by the tests she took around Thanksgiving. She said content was easy to understand and she wasn't feeling an anxiety about whether she would be accepted or not. I wish I had her confidence. Anyways, just before Christmas break we got a call from Ms. Gillenwater that she would like to meet with us. We were super eager to get the news. 

Ms. Gillenwater was just as eager to share that Arrowlyn passed her GT tests with flying colors - no joke. Near perfect scores with an overall score of 99%. We were blown away. It wasn't that she was strong in one area and needed improvement somewhere else; she was literally strong in all facets. 

My only concern for her is her perfectionism. She gives herself a hard time when she makes a mistake and still hasn't learned how to react appropriately. I hope the courses in GT can help her gain appropriate ways to fail and try again without beating herself up. 


Fast forward to Monday the 29th, Arrowlyns first day of Gifted and Talented. Her teacher is Mrs. Price and she has quite a few friends in the class already. She is excited to start coding and doing some focused STEM projects. I'm not sure how much she's going to love it in the long run because she really loves to read and write but I think she will be happy to give this a go for awhile and we are so very, very proud of her!

No comments