The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

We just finished reading & listening to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum. I was genuinely surprised by it and not really in the most positive way. I love that it wasn't super scary and had unique components with all the different creatures. It was a very simple read that didn't require a lot of attention to understand what was happening. Unfortunately, I agree with some of the original reviews of the critics that it lacked luster and oomph to really captivate and draw you in. 
I love how it closed the stories of the main characters, giving them leadership roles and happy endings. 

It was surprisingly really different from the movie! That actually pleased me. The movie was quite dark. I laughed out loud during the scenario of how the wicked witch of the west died in the book. And the flying monkeys in the story were much better than the scary monkeys of the movie. 

While we listened, I spent the time crocheting a blanket for Arrowlyn while Matt completed a beautiful puzzle for the story (which was actually the reason why we chose the book.) The puzzle was more aligned with the story of the book than the movie too. The kids took turns helping Matt and reading the book with the Librivox playing. 
I'm glad we read it as a family and I could actually read it as an adult.








 

No comments