Hysterectomy Recovery - Weeks 2-4

  • My 1 week post op appointment on January 30th went really well. Doc C was really happy with how well I was doing and both him and his nurse said that I don't look like I just had surgery. I had made sure to take a shower and do my hair & makeup. My mom had always told me when I am feeling down and unwell to "Put your makeup on and get dressed up...." So that's what I did and their words at the clinic made me feel so good. The only pictures my doctor took during my surgery were of my ovaries to show that they looked healthy, including the right one from my Ectopic Pregnancy. I was thrilled to hear that. 

I was encouraged to start walking more after February 5th but was cautioned that I may become fatigued quickly. So if I try to do 5000 steps and realize the next day that it was too much, go ahead and rest for a day.  
Doc removed my stitches, shook Matt's hand and we were gone after 20 minutes. 


  •  The individual week days (8-12 post op) following my appointment, I felt like I started each day off doing a little too much too soon, that by the end of the each day, I was uncomfortable and tired. My kids handled my recovery well but were possibly a little confused when they would see me downstairs, greeting them when they woke up but when they returned home, I was snuggled up in bed or on the couch, uncomfortable from pain & feeling apathetic to anyones presence. 
  • I watched a video of what it looks like internally to have my surgery ....  a laparoscopic total hysterectomy. I thought I would get grossed out but I found it fascinating. It made sense to what I was feeling internally. My stitches are still causing some discomfort and my organs are probably moving to fill in the empty space that was once a beautiful home for my children.
  • February 4th-Sunday (Day 13 post op), I misjudged my progression and tried to work. I was in immense pain. Thankfully, since it was a weekend, Matt was there and he did 98% of the work. I basically just supervised. Matt was sympathetic to my situation and encouraged me to just let him do the jobs. When I got home, I spent the rest of the day in bed, watching Rides with Norman Reedus and reading Virginia Grohl's book From Cradle to Stage. 
  • Day 14 I'm suffering. Things hurt and ache and throb. I know I need to keep healing and my doctor warned me of this potential pain if I do too much - But I really thought I would be doing better by now. I cancelled a walk with my friend, Sara, tomorrow. I just need to rest. My friend, Tiana, had hysterectomy today.
  • Day 15 Bad News - I'm back on bedrest for the next 2-3 days. I was doing well, so I did a lot this morning including vacuuming a rug. My sweet friend, Joyce, came for a visit and brought lunch.  I started to feel uncomfortable again. Thankfully, Matt returned home from work exactly at the same time she was leaving. I went to use the restroom and there was blood everywhere. Absolute murder scene in the toilet. I have not bled this entire post op so needless to say, I was concerned. I choked down 600mg of Ibuprofen, guzzled a bottle of water and called my doctor. Nurse Stacy called me back and gave me instructions to consistently schedule taking Ibuprofen (which I haven't taken pain pills in a week or longer), 24-48 hrs of bedrest, and call/email tomorrow with an update. Needless to say,  I'm bummed. Sierra was kind & offered to bring my family dinner after I shared my change in progress with her. I was blessed to have two dear friends come visit me today. 
  • My church family also brought dinners over the next couple days. I was even sent flowers from the church. 
  • I am doing amazing (Day 23). I'm driving for short errands, walking, and feeling a bit back to normal. I'm a little tired by the afternoon - mostly when I've been super busy for the day. I'm trying to do a little more each day because I am going to be taking on more work starting the 20th. 

  • It's been just shy of 4 weeks since my surgery (by a few hours) and I feel really, really good. I don't take any pain pills. I am waking up and going to bed regularly. I'm doing little exercises (because I've gained a lot  of weight leading up to the surgery plus some more since surgery). I'm still not doing any weights and will try to avoid lifting until I'm cleared. I'm walking over 5,000 steps a day, driving, shopping, standing for long periods of time - honestly, I feel just about 90% back to normal - minus some bloating and the weight gain. 
  • I probably won't update my recovery over the next two weeks. I have Arrowlyn's birthday party this weekend and will be working every so often over the next couple weeks so I'm going to be pretty busy. I guess, unless something comes up, this post is about as dramatic this recovery is going to get. 

My 6 week appointment is March 4th and I'm really looking forward to getting the green light to get back to life!!















No comments